Thursday, January 3, 2013

PANDEMONIUM

Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)Book Review:  Pandemonium


Author:  Lauren Oliver
Published:  2012
Series:  Delirium #2


Okay, unlike a lot of people, I really didn’t enjoy Delirium, the prequel to Pandemonium.  Yes Oliver’s writing is beautiful but I realized I’m an action junkee and Delirium really didn’t deliver on this for me.  And then I found out Pandemonium finishes with a huge cliffhanger and a sort of love triangle (I loathe love triangles, have I made this clear in past posts?).  So with 2 strikes against it I really hadn’t planned on reading Pandemonium, but I was running out of reading options.  And I’m glad I did…


The Setting 
Lena has survived and found friends in the Wilds.  While the people here are free to feel love and emotion they are often starved and overworked, many people don’t make it through the harsh eastern winters. 
Lena and few close friends, Raven and Tack, survive the harsh trek south for the winter and are living undercover in New York, working with the resistance.  Lena is asked to follow Julian, the son of a powerful leader of a pro-cure organization.  Things quickly turn ugly when Lena and Julian are taken prisoner, forced to share a cell and endure harsh living conditions from their captors.  Lena and Julian eventually escape only to realize that they’ll need to rely on themselves and some unforeseen allies to truly escape their captors, the city and the cure. 

What I LIKED about this book
While Lena is the narrator of this book, every chapter switches from present time to a previous time out in the Wilds.  I loved this because if things were slow in the present, usually the past made up for it.  It kept me turning the pages.  I loved how Julian and Lena developed feelings for each other while they were held captive.  It reminded me of Shatter Me, and I loved that aspect  of the book.


What I DISLIKED about this book 
It ended with a huge cliffhanger.  I NEED the next book, yet I am a little hesitant because I’m sure the next book will mostly be all about the dreaded love triangle. 

Parting Thoughts
Overall I’m going to give Pandemonium 5 out of 5 stars.  I recommend it, even if you were hesitant after reading Delirium.  Plenty of action and romance keep you turning the pages.  Fans of dystopian and romance novels will love Pandemonium.

No comments:

Post a Comment