Sunday, January 6, 2013

ONYX

Onyx (Lux, #2)Book Review:  Onyx

Author:  Jennifer Armentrout
Published:  2012
Series:  Lux #2


I was sucked into the catty world of Kay and Daemon thanks to Obsidian.  I had to read Onyx, I seriously needed more.  But the cover?  Ugh!  I hate it!  I purposely bought this one on my kindle so people couldn’t tell what I was reading.  The cover looks like it should belong in the steaming hot adult romance section.  Embarrassing, but Onyx is a little steamy (okay, a lot steamy).

The Setting

Thanks to Daemon it appears Katy’s awesome alien powers are sticking around, and so it appears, is Daemon.  And Daemon is not letting Katy out of his sight; in fact he’d like her a lot closer. 
Katy tries to deny her feelings for Daemon but it’s nearly impossible with his smug smile and irresistibly hot alien body.  But Katy just wants things to go back to normal, and nobody appears more normal than the new move-in, a “surfer” boy from California named Blake.  Things turn serious however when Katy sees Beth, a girl who supposedly “died” with Daemon’s brother Dawson.  Is Dawson alive?  Is the Department of Defense hiding things from the Luxen and using them for their own advantage?  And what is Katy really capable of now? 

What I LIKED about this book
I couldn’t put it down.  Usually I hate the introduction of a love-triangle but I loved this one.  Sure, it made me want to pommel Katy, but it really was entertaining to watch Daemon and Blake go after one another.  I love Armentrout’s witty writing; I fell in love with each character because they actually sounded like catty teenagers.

What I DISLIKED about this book
A lot of make-out scenes.  Now some of you may be saying “is there such a thing?”  But yes, this book could of been cut in half without the steamy and smutty (my mom who is undoubtedly reading this hates the word slutty, hence smutty) make-out scenes.  Just be aware.  I would say this book is probably PG-18 and older.

Parting Thoughts
Overall I’m going to give Onyx 4 out of 5 stars, it would have gotten 5 stars but I want people to be aware of the “adult” nature of this book.  That being said I HAVE to read the next one.  I love these characters way too much to put down this series.  I would recommend Onyx for fans of ROMANCE with a bit of paranormal action.

No comments:

Post a Comment