Saturday, January 5, 2013

OBSIDIAN

Obsidian (Lux, #1)Book Review:  Obsidian

Author:  Jennifer Armentrout
Published:  2012
Series:  Lux #1



This book was recommended to me by Goodreads, although I must say the cover freaked me out.  The author’s witty premise sucked me into the book, and I was relieved when I discovered there were 3 books already published in this series.

The Setting
Katy just moved to West Virginia.  The town doesn’t have more than one stoplight, so it’s pretty safe to say that much doesn't go on in this sleepy town…boy was Katy wrong.  When Katy goes next door to introduce herself, rude and infuriating Daemon Black answers and pretty much tells her to get lost. 
Offended but able to handle her own, Katy becomes good friends with Dee, Daemon’s sister despite Daemon’s constant threats to leave his family alone and his shenanigans to break up Katy and Dee’s friendship.  Things around Daemon and Dee are different, a little too different, and Katy finds herself unable to explain certain events that happen around them.  Turns out Daemon and Dee aren’t from around here and they have a secret, one that will affect Katy more than she realizes.  Turns out Katy will need to spend a little extra time with Daemon in order to keep herself alive

What I LIKED about this book
I loved the aliens!  That’s right loved them!  I was afraid they would break out into full ET mode but luckily for me these aliens must have been from a different planet (the movie ET still scares me silly to this day).  It’s nice to take a break from the vampires and werewolves of YA fiction and dive into aliens.  I loved the relationship between Katy and Daemon.  So witty and flirtatious, I really couldn’t get enough.

What I DISLIKED about this book
Okay there was a lot of teenager angst and raging hormones in this book.  I wouldn't recommend this series to young readers at ALL.  PG-18 and older I would say...

Parting Thoughts
Overall I’m going to give Obsidian 5 out of 5 stars.  I don’t think this book will appeal to boys, there is a lot of flirtatious bantering back and forth between Katy and Daemon that I’m sure girls will swoon over, but not so much boys.  Romantic sparks aside; it was a really entertaining read.  I’m going to let you in on a little secret, I read Obsidian and the next two books in the series in less than a week, I couldn’t put them down (and now my house is a total wreck)!

No comments:

Post a Comment