Thursday, January 10, 2013

FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK

Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1)Book Review:  Finnikin of the Rock


Author:  Melina Marchetta
Published:  2008
Series:  Lumatere Chronicles #1

I picked up Finnikin of the Rock because Goodreads recommended it, and it helped that it was highly rated and a YA fantasy.  Talk about a trifecta!


The Setting
It's been a long time since Finnikin and his mentor, Sir Topher have been to their homeland of Lumatere.  Ten years to be exact.  Their absence was caused by a traitorous man who killed all of the royal family and dragged innocent people through the kingdom either to be hung or
burned alive.  A curse was then set upon Lumatere that no one shall leave or enter the kingdom ever again.  Many fled but the remaining who were caught were subject to a new evil king.  Finnikin was one of the "lucky" ones who made it out but has been searching for both a childhood friend and his lost father ever since.  Finnikin's fate finally changes when a young novice, Evajalin, offers faith and the path back home to Lumatere.  But who is Evanjalin and how does she know the unthinkable?  Can Finnikin trust her?  Is Evanjalin's faith in Finnikin enough to lead the battered people of Lumatere?

What I LIKED about this book
Never a dull moment in this one.  Action, fantasy, and a smidgen of romance, this book offers something for everyone.  Above all though I loved Evanjalin.  She was courageous and smart, humble and meek.  She suffered so much in her life you can't help but love her.

What I DISLIKED about this book
There was a little too much going on in this book.  This book is a true fantasy read; lots of characters, lots of obstacles and lots of intricate curses and plots.  I found myself having to go back and re-read just to keep the story straight.  I also disliked the love interest between Finnikin and Evanjalin.  I just didn't feel the connection there, and when I did it was the last 2 pages of the book when Finnikin is finally professing his love.  

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'm going to give Finnikin of the Rock 3 out of 5 stars.  I found the plot confusing and romance lacking.  The fantasy aspect of this book was intriguing and kept the book readable for me.  I think true fans of fantasy will like this book (perhaps enthusiasts who enjoyed Lord of the Rings).    

No comments:

Post a Comment