Tuesday, January 8, 2013

DESIRES OF THE DEAD

Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)Book Review:  Desires of the Dead

Author:  Kimberly Derting
Published:  2011
Series:  The Body Finder #2


For those of you who don’t know, Desires of the Dead is the second book in The Body Finder series.  After enjoying the first book I wanted to see what Violet and Jay were up to after their brush with death.

The Setting
After a near death experience Violet and Jay are closer than ever before.  But ignorance is bliss and soon Violet is drawn to another corpse.  Unable to function because of the corpse, Violet anonymously alerts the police about the body.  She rushes back home and prepares for everything to go back to normal…but it doesn’t. 
A government agent wants to talk to Violet about her discovery and Violet isn’t sure if the dead body is all the agent wants to talk about.  To make matters worse, someone is threatening Violet at home and school.  Afraid to even tell her boyfriend, Violet suffers alone and questions who she can tell her secret to.  But as Violet opens up about her ability, she uncovers a secret that could put her and her friends in peril!


What I LIKED about this book 
This book adds more paranormal quirks to the series!  (Think X-MEN)  I love that not everyone is as they seem in this book, it keeps you guessing to the end. 

What I DISLIKED about this book
Even though this series is not a trilogy, I felt this story suffered from the second book travesty.  The main characters question themselves, bicker back and forth and finally do come together at the end while the plot is trying to set up the series for the final adventure.  Basically a transitional book, yeah, so over-rated.  I hated that this book took on this feeling for me.   And to make matters worse, I felt that Derting is setting up a possible love triangle for the third book.  Ugh, so OVERRATED!


Parting Thoughts 
Overall I would give Desires of the Dead 4 out of 5 stars.  I should mention there are some “adult” actions between Violet and Jay so this may not be a book for younger readers.  I think Desires of the Dead will appeal to fans of romance and fantasy, and I’m eager to see what other “talented” people Violet might befriendBut please Violet, don't befriend another boy and become romantically involved with him!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment