Thursday, January 17, 2013

THE DARKEST MINDS

The Darkest MindsBook Review:  The Darkest Minds

Author:  Alexandra Bracken
Published:  2012
Series:  The Darkest Minds #1

I decided to request this book from my library.  It had a cool cover and the story line sounded right up my alley; kids possessing super-hero powers.  It was a rather thick book, but so worth it in the end!

The Setting
Ruby doesn't know who she is terrified by more; herself or those like her who posses the same capabilities as she.  And what she can do...is dangerous, lonely, and powerful.  Shunned by her parents Ruby along with any other children exhibiting odd capabilities are taken to a rehabilitation camp run by the government.  Having everything taken from her, Ruby can't even keep her one true friend safe against her powers.  
It's been years since Ruby's been taken into custody at Thurmond and only one person has even claimed to be cured.  But suddenly someone wants Ruby out of camp and helping their organization. Sprung from Thurmond, Ruby quickly realizes the organization that set her free, the Children's League, is just another imprisonment.  On the run again Ruby meets three unlikely friends who will eventually support her "hideous" capabilities and protect her from those who want her back.  But is it safe for her to get close to her new friends, especially a boy named Liam, when she can so clearly exploit their thoughts and erase their memories?  Eventually Ruby and her friends meet up with Clancy Grey, leader of a rogue group of kids who also have unique capabilities.  Clancy promises to help train Ruby's mind and keep her friends away from harm, but at what cost?  What is Clancy hiding and can Ruby ever feel in control of her capabilities?  What sacrifices will Ruby make to keep her friends safe?

What I LIKED about this book
Where do I start?  The world building was amazing, I could vividly picture the dismal eastern US and the camp Ruby was imprisoned at.  The characters were real.  Liam broke my heart more than once with how genuine and kind he was despite his past.  A boy named Chubbs created comedic relief while endearing himself to you.  Ruby was a tragic character, yet so likable and damaged you can't help but love and root for her.  The book was a page turner and there was never a dull moment.  Bracken's description was thorough yet it felt like every line had a purpose, especially when everything came together in the end.  The ending.  Oh the ending.  Let's just say I never saw it coming, and I screamed "No no no no!" out loud when...  Not going to tell you.  You'll have to read the book and you'll know what I mean.  And perhaps then you'll sob like a baby like I did.

What I DISLIKED about this book
The ending.  I need the sequel...  Like yesterday.

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'm going to reward The Darkest Minds 5 out of 5 stars.  Read it.  It's long but I can honestly say Bracken needed everything to weave this whole story together.  I'd say you'd like this book if you enjoyed Shatter Me.  It will also appeal to fans of dystopian, romance and paranormal.  I can't believe it ended the way it did.  I'm hoping certain people resurface in the sequel, which I'm sure they will, even the ones we don't want.

No comments:

Post a Comment