Wednesday, January 2, 2013

BORN WICKED

Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)Book Review:  Born Wicked

Author:  Jessica Spotswood
Published:  2012
Series:  The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1


Unlike book genres of vampires and werewolves, I can’t get enough about witches.  So when I saw this historical fiction about the Cahill witches, I couldn’t say no.  Can you tell I have a soft spot for historical fiction?


The Setting 
Cate has a problem.  Actually she has many problems but the biggest one is she’s a witch.  And if you’re discovered as such, you don’t live to see the morning.  Apart from that Cate is tasked with taking care of her sisters after her mother passes away suddenly, which might be easier if they weren’t witches as well. 
Cate must also decide in the next six months whether she will marry or pledge herself to the sisterhood, a mysterious convent who supposedly educates women to serve others.  And if that wasn’t enough, Cate has her heart pulled in two different directions from two very different men.  Sigh.  I wish my life was this exciting!  Anyway, Cate stumbles upon a prophesy her mother kept hidden from her, yet if fulfilled could be devastating to Cate and her sisters.  Cate must decide who she can trust and what she is willing to sacrifice to keep her secrets safe. 

What I LIKED about this book
Duh, I loved the historical detail.  I loved Cate, I could relate to her feelings of protecting her sisters from harm.  I LOVED Finn.  He was so likeable, sweet and gentle.  And I loved the magical elements of this book.


What I DISLIKED about this book 
Cate and Finn’s romance felt a little fake, it was more of a insta-romance and I wish we could have had more courting before they were locking lips.  I hate how the book ended…now I’m for sure reading the second book.  Please hurry! 

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'll give Born Wicked 4 out of 5 stars.  The plot was intriguing once the secret was unfurled.  While not a whole lot of action took place in this first book, I’m hoping from the way things ended that the second book will deliver here.  Fans of fantasy and romance alike will enjoy Born Wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment