Friday, January 11, 2013

LEVEL 2

Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)ARC Book Review:  Level 2

Author:  Lenore Appelhans
Published:  2013
Series:  The Memory Chronicles #1

Wahoo, I won this book!  And I stalk/love Lenore Appelhans' blog.  So when this arc came in the mail I was on cloud 9 (not to be confused with Level 2)!  I was so excited to read a story about the afterlife and maybe a little dystopian action...

The Setting
Felicia Ward is dead.  Well sort of.  She's living in sort of a limbo type place called level 2.  And it feels like she's been there decades.  Living with girls her own age, Felicia and the other wards spend most of their time "remembering".  They are free to access any memory of their life on earth and they can occasionally trade others for their memories. 
But reliving her past has made Felicia long for her lost friendships on earth and her one true love Neil.  Suddenly ex-fling Julian presents himself to Felicia in her hive and tells her everything she knows about the after life is wrong, and joining him to fight against the Morati angels who hold them captive will both free her and bring back Neil.  Desperate to find Neil, Felicia agrees to join Julian and his friends fight a war that began way before she was ever born.  But can Felicia trust Julian after everything he's put her through?  Will she ever find Neil?  And what does this war against gods and angels have to do with her?

What I LIKED about this book
I liked the world building.  Appelhans described the setting in Level 2 beautifully and I could actually picture myself in Felicia's hive and in her life on earth.

What I DISLIKED about the book
As much as it pains me to say it, I actually disliked most of the book (I hope you don't hate me Lenore)!  The beginning was slow and I had a really hard time getting into the book.  The secrets in Felicia's life were not enough to pull me into the story.  Alternately the ending was rushed, with too many things being revealed at once and at the same time the story reaches a complicated climax which left me utterly confused.  I'm still not sure what exactly the Morati angels needed Felicia for (or how Felicia and Julian won the war).  I'm sure Appelhans will explain some of these things in the next installment but I've never been so confused at the ending of a book.  And sadly that confusion does not compel me to want to read the second book in the series.

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'm going to give Level 2 3 out of 5 stars.  I wanted to love it.  And I still do find the after life concept intriguing, but the ending was a hot mess!  I think this book will appeal to dystopian and romance fans, although I think Appelhans will have a hard time keeping readers motivated to even read the perplexing ending.  Ouch.  Hope the second book is better!  Level 2 debuts on bookshelves everywhere this Tuesday, January 15.          

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth! I love the layout of your blog. I have one request for you - can you put your rating at the top of each post so it's immediately visible after the title? I'll probably only read the ones you really love. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess! How I love you! I actually thought about this...however I am going to be extremely selfish and make you click on the review and scroll to the bottom to see my rating. This gives me more page views so maybe some publishers will send me some books (one can only hope)! I'll definitely re-vise my "Fav Books" tab and include my 5 star rated books along with my favorites for you. Love ya!

      Delete