Saturday, December 29, 2012

VALKYRIE RISING

Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)Book Review:  Valkyrie Rising

Author:  Ingrid Paulson
Published:  2012
Series:  Valkyrie #1


I picked this book up because I love ancient mythology and I also love a young adult coming of age story.  Go figure!  Enough said… I had to read Valkyrie Rising.

The Setting
Ellie is the younger sister of Graham, the most popular, well-liked boy at their L.A. school.  Ellie and Graham, as well as Graham’s best friend Tuck, are shipped out to Norway for the summer to stay with their grandmother for a few weeks.  In this small Norwegian town nothing ever happens.  Until Ellie arrives.
Young men are disappearing around town as gossip about the culprits circulates around the area.  Ellie is at a bar one night when the unthinkable happens, a tall model thin blonde walks into the room.  Haha, no really!  The strange beautiful girl Astrid hypnotizes everyone in the room, calls Ellie a Valkyrie, and tries to take her friend.  Luckily both Ellie and her friend emerge from the bar unscathed but serious doubt is creeping into Ellie’s mind.  What is her grandmother hiding from her?  Why does she feel power inside of her to fight and control other people’s minds?  What is a Valkyrie?  While Ellie is trying to pull the puzzle pieces together herself, Graham and her grandmother have been captured by the Valkyrie’s and now it’s left to her and the very charming Tuck to save her family and kidnapped young men.

What I LIKED about this book
I loved the Norse mythology.  Really, I felt I got cheated, I wanted more of it.  I loved Ellie, but sometimes I wanted to strangle her.  I loved Tuck.  I really need more on Tuck.  Without giving too much away, Tuck has some interesting characteristics himself and I wish Paulson would have spent a little more time exploring that avenue.  I loved that it was a fast-paced book filled with action, suspense, and a little romance.

What I DISLIKED about this book

I needed this book to be longer, or take some parts out and add in more Norse mythology.  I needed more about Tuck’s background.  Perhaps if there is a second book it will go into more detail about his background.  Some parts dealing with the climax of this book felt unfinished and amidst it all Astrid suddenly soul searching and flipping sides definitely bugged me (I’m trying not to give too much away). 

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'll give Valkyrie Rising 4 out of 5 stars.  Not a must read for me.  This book had plenty of action mixed with paranormal mythology, and a nice sprinkling of romance.  Fans looking for these characteristics won’t be disappointed.  I just felt it needed more.

No comments:

Post a Comment