Sunday, December 30, 2012

TIME BETWEEN US

Time Between UsBook Review:  Time Between Us

Author:  Tamara Ireland Stone
Published:  2012
Series:  No


I picked this book up because of the rave reviews from other book blogs.  Again I was skeptical because it didn’t sound like this book was an action packed thriller, and I have a short attention span so I NEED action!  (And get your mind out of the gutter...I'm talking about fantasy book action here!)

The Setting
Anna is a typical high school student living in Chicago in 1995:  she runs cross country, loves music and hasn’t traveled much out of the Chicago area.  Her “normal” life takes a turn for the extraordinary when she meets a boy named Bennett.
Bennett however is oddly mysterious, attributed to the fact that he is actually from San Francisco in 2012 and he can travel through time and space.  Bennett’s gift has actually backfired on him, and now he is stuck searching for a lost family member when he meets Anna.  Soon the two are inseparable; together they fill the void in each others life.  But at what cost can Bennett’s gift be applied to save other people’s lives, including Anna’s?  Will he be able to stay in 1995 with Anna?  Will Anna find the strength to live her life if Bennett is gone?


What I LIKED about this book 
I loved Tamara Stone’s writing style.  While it wasn’t an action packed thriller I still found myself turning the pages, always wanting to know more.  I loved the mystery of this story, and not all the secrets are given up all at once.  I liked how it was just one book…I have enough series to last a lifetime!


What I DISLIKED about this book 
It felt like there was an insta-romance between Bennett and Anna.  I get that Bennett had been warned in the future about his relationship with Anna but I think Stone could have done a better job of developing a more realistic romantic interest between Anna and Bennett.

Parting Thoughts
Overall I’m going to give Time Between Us 3.5 out of 5 stars.  I liked the mystery and suspense Stone created around time travel and I think because of this it will appeal to fans of the more action packed young adult novels.  But it wasn't quirky enough for me.  Definitely read this book if you are a hopeless romantic, it won’t let you down!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment