Monday, December 31, 2012

SCARLET

Scarlet (Scarlet #1)Book Review:  Scarlet

Author:  A.C. Gaughen
Published:  2012
Series:  Scarlet #1


What can I say; I have a soft spot for historical fiction.  I love it; I can’t seem to get enough of it.  So when I heard Scarlet was about the infamous Robin Hood and his band of misfits...I couldn’t say no.


The Setting 
Thieving for others was the life Scarlet chose for herself.  Until the outlaw Robin Hood coerced her to join his band of thieves including a one-handed boy named Much and the dubious John Little. 
Because the Sheriff imposes impossible taxes upon the people of Nottingham, Robin’s band always has things to do: rescue people from the jail, hunt food for the town and steal from the rich to give to the poor.  But when the Sheriff changes his tactics and hires a thief taker (known as the mysterious Lord Gisbourne) Scarlet’s life is turned upside down.  Haunted by Gisbourne, Scarlet must overcome her past and spill her secrets if she wants to protect the town and the man she cares about most, the honorable Robin Hood. 

What I LIKED about this book
I loved Scarlet.  Her character is fierce and independent; however there were a few times I wanted to slap her.  I loved the rich historical detail and the dialect Gaughen uses for her narrative, although it took me awhile to get used to it.  This book was full of mystery and adventure with subtle hints of romance.

What I DISLIKED about this book
I hated the love triangle between Scarlet, John, and Robin!  Why must YA writers feel like they must do this?  This ruined the book for me.  And I felt like there was more of a connection between Scarlet and John, even though you were rooting for Robin Hood.  I didn’t feel the romance between Scarlet and Robin.  AHHHH!  Why?  This could have been a fantastic book for me!


Parting Thoughts 
Overall I’m going to give Scarlet 4 out of 5 stars.  Major deductions for the love triangle, though I know a lot of people will disagree with my opposition to them.  Read this if you like mystery, romance or just need a fast paced book, you won’t be disappointed.  I was kind of hoping there would be a sequel; and I just found out there will be!  Yay!  Here’s hoping the love triangle is fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment