Thursday, December 27, 2012

THE RAVEN BOYS

The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1)Book Review:  The Raven Boys

Author:  Maggie Stiefvater
Published:  2012
Series:  Raven Cycle #1



I picked this book up because of the rave reviews, but I also loved Maggie Stiefvater’s last book I read, The Scorpio Races.  I was not disappointed…

The Setting
Blue is not your average teenage girl.  For starters she lives with her mother and a bunch of psychic’s (one of which is her mom) and Blue seems to have a special gift of her own.  Blue attends a ceremony with her aunt on St. Mark’s Eve when she has her first experience with a ghost.
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve.  Either you’re his true love…or you killed him.”  That ghost turns out to be Gansey, a wealthy young man attending Aglionby School who has a dark and secret quest of his own.  Mesmerized by the magic surrounding him, Blue offers to help Gansey search for the impossible; making her own choices instead of heading to a psychic’s reading, something she has done her whole life.  Blue, along with her new found friends, experience the sacrifices and greed that go along with searching for something powerful.

What I LIKED about this book
Everything.  I love Stiefvater’s writing and world building.  She describes the setting and characters beautifully.  I love the supernatural of this book, it offers twists and cliff-hangers like you wouldn’t believe.  While Stiefvater sets up the series for romance, there is actually little in this book so I could see boys being drawn to this story as well. 

What I DISLIKED about this book
Hmmmm...I have to wait for the next book in the series?  Lame!

Parting Thoughts
I'm going to award The Raven Boys 5 out of 5 stars.  I loved it!  Fans of fantasy and mystery will love this book too.  I should mention that while Stiefvater's writing is beautiful, it may not draw you in or keep you turning the pages in the beginning.  But stick with it, it's so worth it.  I’m serious people, get out there and read The Raven Boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment