Monday, December 24, 2012

PROMISED

Promised (Birthmarked, #3)Book Review:  Promised

Author:  Caragh M. O'Brien
Published:  2012
Series: Birthmarked #3


I had to read the third and final book of the Birthmarked series.  I was hoping it was everything O’Brien promised it would be….haha!  I am so funny….and gullible.


The Setting
Gaia and her band of 1800 misfits have traveled the desert back to the Enclave to start a new life…hopefully.  Things quickly turn ugly when the Protectorat of the Enclave captures Gaia
(several times during this book…you’d think she’d learn how not to get captured) when she only wants to negotiate water for her people.  Leon decides to take things into his own hands, terrorizing the people inside the wall with dynamite and uncertainty.  To make matters worse, the Enclave is unraveling even more from an inter-breeding illness and the formation of a “baby factory” causing multiple rebellions.  In the end, Gaia must decide what she’s willing to sacrifice for the good of everyone else.

What I LIKED about this book 
I finished a series!  That’s one down, one million to go people!  Other than that however I really only liked that Leon and Gaia ended up together and that it was a fast read. 

What I DISLIKED about this book
Warning, spoilers!  AHHHHH!  Where do I start?  This book had some major plot dysfunctions.  First...where in Gaia’s right mind did she think the Protectorat was going to let 1800 people mooch off him and his city?  And that leads me into my next problem…Gaia.  I lost count how many times she was captured, mostly due to her new found trait of carelessness and lack of planning.  Does she even stop to think at all?  In particular though, I HATED the ending.  The Enclave took away Gaia’s right to be a mother and yet she’s living among these people at the end?  Granted she has nowhere to go but come on, try to reverse the effects of what they did to you Gaia!  I mean there are some days that I’d give all my embryos to a bum off the street (my one-year-old can be such a terror sometimes) but Gaia will never have that feeling!

Parting Thoughts
Overall I’m going to be generous and give Promised 3.5 out of 5 stars.  There’s no shortage of action and romance here but beware of a sloppy plot and overwhelming feelings to strangle Gaia.

No comments:

Post a Comment