Tuesday, December 25, 2012

OUTPOST

Outpost (Razorland, #2)Book Review:  Outpost

Author:  Ann Aguirre
Published:  2012
Series:  Razorland #2


I had mixed feelings about Enclave (the first book in the series), mostly it felt like I had already seen this plot before in the blockbuster hit I am Legend.  I hated (more likely I was scared silly of) I am Legend so much that when my husband bought the movie I hid it from him.  Yes, I’m that much of a pansy.  I have a habit of hiding movies that scare the daylights out of me, my parents still can’t find their copy of E.T..  But in Enclave, I was able to control my wild imagination so I didn’t have to sleep with the lights on.  After reading Enclave I knew I had to find out what happened to Fade and Deuce.

The Setting 
Deuce along with her friends have made it safely to the outpost Salvation.  This town is completely covered by walls and guarded (although not entirely well) by male citizens of Salvation.  Deuce is frustrated; she is expected to cook, sew, and clean while her male counterparts get the “important” jobs like hunting and militia.  Adding to her annoyance, Fade is completely ignoring her and Deuce is convinced the Freaks are evolving, becoming smarter at attacking the walls of Salvation.

The final blow comes when the Freaks uproot all of Salvation's crops, forcing the town to send an armed envoy out to guard Salvation’s livelihood.  Of course Deuce volunteers and following her every lead are the two love sick puppies Fade and Stalker.  When Deuce experiences the Freaks abnormal behavior firsthand, her and her friends must decide how to plan attacks against the Freaks and how to save the town from starvation. 

What I LIKED about this book 
I could not put this book down, so consequently my sleep suffered!  I loved the strong heroine Deuce.  Not only can she kick butt but she’s not afraid to voice her opinion or stick to what she believes in.  Outpost kept me guessing and now I crave the next book in the series!

What I DISLIKED about this book
There was a small love triangle, which you know I loathe!  But it actually gave some comedic relief in some places and I didn’t mind too much.  Once again my complaint against 2nd books in a series are usually the two love interests spend most of their time fighting or brooding.  This maybe happened 1/3 of the book, but it was manageable.

Parting Thoughts
Despite my gripes I’m going to award Outpost 5 out of 5 stars.  It was that good.  Fans of dystopian, romance and even some I am Legend fans wills love Outpost.  I really need the 3rd book in the series…I need, I need, I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment