Friday, December 21, 2012

GRAVE MERCY


Book Review:  Grave Mercy

Author:  Robin LaFevers
Published:  2012
Series:  His Fair Assassin #1

Ummmm, have you seen the cover?  This is why I picked up the book!  And it can’t hurt that the girl is holding a crossbow!  

The Setting 
Ismae is a handmaiden of Death living in Brittany in the fifteenth century.  She is abused by everyone in her life.  Her “earthly” father has paid a man almost nothing to marry her but the man is terrified when he sees a long red scar across Ismae’s back. 
The man locks Ismae in a cellar but she is eventually rescued by a herbwitch and a priest.  They take Ismae a convent, a place where girls train to be assassins, killing in the name of St. Mortain, the God of Death.  Ismae completes her first 2 killings and is starting to notice some special “gifts” she has been given from her Father of Death.  Eventually Ismae is forced to accompany the mysterious Gavriel Duval to decipher the mole in the Brittan Empire and save the duchess from misery and death.

What I LIKED about this book
Let’s just put it this way…I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning to finish this book.  I couldn’t put it down.  Now you should know that I am a sucker for historical fiction, but mercy me, a book with historical fiction and fantasy, no wonder I ignored my wifely duties until I finished this book!  Okay, I’ll try and control myself here.  I loved the main character Ismae.  She was strong, smart, and did I mention she was a trained assassin?  I enjoyed the dark legends and background into the Brenton courts.  I loved the flirtatious bickering between Ismae and Duval, it was not an insta-romance like so many other YA books are guilty of.  I liked that Ismae and Duval had a happily ever after, “Ismae, I would offer you marriage if you would have it” - Duval.  Sigh.  Duval can propose to me if Ismae won’t have marriage.  I mean I’m taken but we could work something out I’m sure…
  
What I DISLIKED about this book
One of Ismae’s “gifts” was not really well expanded upon, yet played an important role in the ending of the book (saving Duval).  Hope I’m not giving anything away!

Parting Thoughts
Overall I loved Grave Mercy, 4.5 out of 5 stars.  I really would like a sequel to see how Duval and Ismae are doing but I think LaFevers is correct in writing a sequel about one of Ismae’s closest friends.  I will definitely read the sequel to Grave Mercy, I just don’t know if I can wait until April of 2013!  Oh fellow bookies, go read this book now!

1 comment:

  1. Yaaaaaaay GRAVE MERCY!! This was my favorite book of all of 2012, and I love meeting a fellow fan.

    ReplyDelete