Sunday, December 23, 2012

FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS

For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)Book Review:  For Darkness Shows the Stars

Author:  Diana Peterfreund
Published:  2012
Series:  For Darkness Shows the Stars #1


Let me start off by saying I am a HUGE Jane Austen fan.  So when I heard this book was an “ode to Jane Austen” with a sci-fy twist, I couldn’t resist!!!

The Setting 
Elliot lives with her family on an isolated island after some futuristic war that split the population into two very different evolutionary humans.  The Luddites, including Elliot and her family, represent the upper-class.  They were untouched by the biological war yet believe
that technology is inherently evil.  They choose not to experiment with biological advancement, including medicine and genetically engineered crops, even if the medicine and crops are for the greater good or survival of their people.  On the other end of the spectrum, the Reduced are humans as well but lack major mental capabilities such as advanced language and learning.  They are confined to the Luddites care to be watched over but more importantly to be slaves.  Post children are born to families of the Reduced but have the same mental and physical capacity as the Luddites.  Kai is a post and also happens to be Elliot's best friend.  But Elliot has not seen Kai in years, not since she refused to leave her family and flee with him.  But suddenly Kai is back and he is anything but the poor farm boy she knew and loved.  Do Kai and Elliot still care for each other after so much has changed?  And what secret is Kai hiding? 

What I LIKED about this book
Elliot is a strong, capable female lead.  I love that she is hard working, inventive and caring.  This is very Austen-esque of the main female character.  I absolutely love the sci-fy element in this book although I wish they would have expanded upon it a little more.  It leads me to believe there will be a sequel in which I hope we learn more about Kai and his company.  This book, while not as adventurous as some of the books I have read, still had me turning the pages. Perhaps there will be more adventure in the sequel…

What I DISLIKED about this book 
I’m tired of the stubborn and moody male leads.  Maybe I’m a little jaded but men don’t pout, they move on.  But I guess it's endearing that Kai is hopelessly in love with Elliot after all these years…   

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'm going to give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.  It seems all the books I have read as of late have been really good, and For Darkness Shows the Stars is no different.  This book will appeal to romance fans (especially Austen lovers like me), and perhaps the dystopian fanatics, however this book might be more romance than a teenage boy is willing to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment