Friday, December 28, 2012

BEST OF 2012

A Roundup of My Favorite Reads This Year!

(Not necessarily published in 2012 however) 

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) Legend (Legend, #1)  
 Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)  Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)   
The Scorpio Races Tiger Lily The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1)   
Outpost (Razorland, #2) Opal (Lux, #3) Divergent (Divergent, #1)

  1. Shadow and Bone:  Ok, if I had to pick one book that was absolutely my favorite read this year, it would be this one.  I LOVED EVERY SINGLE PAGE!  I'm not sure how to explain it but if Harry Potter met Russian setting met killer romantic interest, it wouldn't even start to set the tone for this book.  READ IT!
  2. Grave Mercy:  Historical fiction with trained assassin nuns and a swoon worthy love interest...yes dreams do come true! 
  3. Legend:  A dystopian novel with an oppressive government.  A kick-butt hero and heroine who are on separate sides of a war eventually join to save the ones they love.  I just scored majorly on ebay and ordered the arc sequel a month before it's supposed to come out!  (Yes, in case you were wondering I am a little impatient)
  4. Under the Never Sky:  Another dystopian novel with a coming of age heroine.  Loved all the characters.  I'm really having a hard time waiting for the sequel to come out in January.  (And yes, I've tried to snag the sequel on ebay to no avail!)
  5. Blood Red Road:  The dialect used in this book is a little hard to get used to, but readers are rewarded with an action packed story if they can overcome this obstacle.  A little disappointed with the sequel but I can't wait to finish the series...but don't you think 2014 is a long time to wait?
  6. The Girl of Fire and Thorns:  An entertaining fantasy read with a coming of age heroine.  A lot of the bad reviews for this book were due to the strong presence of religion in this book.  As far as I could tell the religion is purely fictional and I still loved the book.
  7. The Scorpio Races:  Not your average YA book.  Mythological horses plague the coast in this breath-taking read.  Minimal romance with strong heroine and rich description.  I love Maggie Stiefvater!
  8. Tiger Lily:  A re-telling of Peter Pan, the lost boys and Neverland.  I would suspect the average reviews were a result of the not-so-fairy tale ending.
  9. The Raven Boys:  A Gothic fantasy tale.  Maggie Stiefvater is crazy good with world building and character development.  This book follows a psychic's daughter who befriends some unlikely people in their quest to uncover a legend.   
  10. Outpost:  So you have to read the first book in this series (Enclave) to get to this book.  The story line in Enclave is a little bit like the blockbuster movie hit I am Legend...Ok a LOT like I am Legend.  But Outpost picks up at the establishment where the heroine thinks she's safe...boy is she wrong!
  11. Opal:  This book is totally my guilty pleasure!  A little smutty...and the ending is eating me alive since the next book doesn't come out until July.  Extremely good looking aliens with extraordinary powers and a girl who saves and infuriates them, all at the same time!  This is book 3rd out of 5 so I highly recommend waiting to read this series until all 5 books are out!
  12. Divergent:  Probably the most well-known series of all my picks.  If you liked the Hunger Games, then this book will not disappoint!  Once again a dystopian tale with an oppressive government and the heroine who must fight for peace, equality, and humanity.
So that's my 2012 list!  What were some of your favorite reads this year?  Did I miss any exhilarating books?          

No comments:

Post a Comment